Wednesday, September 13, 2023

AECP Level 2 - Magical Marker Techniques

Welcome back to Paper Play, crafty friends!

I appreciate you stopping by today.  This post is all about various ways to use alcohol markers aside from traditional coloring, which was the focus of the AECP Level 2 course Magical Marker Techniques.  Most of us reach for our alcohol markers to color in a stamped image; however, there are many different ways that you can use them.  This course provided 6 lessons - each focusing on a different technique.  I chose two techniques to incorporate into my project for the class - using alcohol markers and spritzes of alcohol to color on metal and using alcohol markers on vellum.  This class was a lot of fun for me since I love to color, and I always enjoy trying out a new technique or two.


My project for the course features: a die cut dahlia that is made from layers of metal tape on top of white card stock and then colored with three shades of pink alcohol markers and spritzed with rubing alcohol; stem and leaves die cut from vellum and colored with green alcohol markers; a background made using a stencil and grit paste mixed with a little Lunar Paste; and a sentiment band with embossing.

Here’s what I used to make it:

Here’s how I made it:
  • Created white card base, cut pink panel, ran Frosty Pink marker around the edges of both, and adhered panel to base with double sided tape.
  • Created white card panel and taped it down to craft surface with post-it tape.
  • Placed stencil over card panel and secured with post-it tape.
  • Mixed a little grit paste with a small amount of lunar paste, which created a rose gold/light gold colored paste; spead paste evenly over the stencil, removed tape, and set panel aside to dry.
  • Adhered metal tape (the type used in HVAC system assembly & repair, purchased on Amazon) onto small piece of white card stock, aligned dahlia dies, and ran through my die cut machine.
  • Colored dahlia flower die cuts with the pink markers, starting with lightest and ending with darkest, and spritzed with rubbing alcohol.
    • The rubbing alcohol interacts with the alcohol ink and creates a mottle effect.

  • Once dry, assembled the petals into the flower using craft glue.
  • Used leaf die and cut set from vellum; colored each side of cut vellum with the green markers, starting with lightest and ending with darkest.
  • Cut a sentiment banner from vellum, dusted piece with baking powder, and stamped the sentiment with clear embossing ink; sprinkled black embossing powder over the ink, tapped off excess, and set with heat tool.
  • Assembled pieces onto card panel and adhered that panel to the card with double sided foam tape.
  • Adhered three clear drip drops with craft glue

This dahlia is gorgeous!  I love the varying shades of pink and way that the rubbing alcohol gave the petals a mottled look, especially versus the vellum colored leaves and stenciled background.  The card also has lots of texture and depth.  Overall, I am super happy with this card and look forward to giving it to a deserving friend.

That wraps up today’s post.  I hope that you learned something new about alcohol markers and ink and that it has inspired you to try creating something on your own.  Thanks for spending some time with me today.  Until next time . . . be well!

2 comments:

BPM/IBFS Wild Berry Thanks

Hey there, crafty friends! I hope the month of May is going well for you!  I had alluded in my prior post that the project for this post wou...