Sunday, September 22, 2024

Stay Wild, Moon Child - September 2024 Gecko Galz Design Team Projects

Hi, friends!

I have always been fascinated by the moon. I have so many memories of being a kid and standing outside with my telescope looking at it.  I used to hope so much to see something move while looking up there . . . and used to be disappointed when it didn't happen.  I also used to love looking for facial patterns while thinking of the "man on the moon."  These days, I find that I appreciate the symbolism of the moon and what it stands for . . . going through phases, our deepest feelings and instincts, mystery, and more.  I connect with each of those themes and probably more so than ever at this point in my life.  That's why I was so excited to see this month's Gecko Galz theme . . . stay wild, moon child.

Each of my projects this month are directly connected to what the moon symbolizes to me.  The first one is an ornament/hanging decoration that I made.  I took a small wooden circle, applied a coat of embossing paste to add some texture, and then painted it with black paint.  I then applied some glitter paste over it and applied the Geck Galz image in the center.  The hanger is stapled to the back and was made with a piece of wire.  The sentiment is one that I love - the moon will always listen.  It reminds me so much of an Elizabethan sonnet by Sir Philip Sidney called Astrophel and Stella.  It's a poem of unrequited love and, in one part of the sonnet, Astrophel essentially asks the moon if love hurts as much up there in the sky as it does down here on land.  This sonnet has stayed with me over the years, and influenced this design.

The other three projects that I made are all greetings cards.  One celebrates the moon theme of phases, another the mystery of always looking up at the moon, and the last the theme of staying true to our deepest feelings and instincts.




I hope that enjoyed learning more about what influenced these designs!  Until next time . . . be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joy in the Present - Tuesday Morning Sketches #775

Hey there, friends! Thanks for stopping by Paper Play.  Today's post is about the card that I created for this week's Tuesday Mornin...