Saturday, April 27, 2024

AECP Level 3 - Runway Inspired Card Making

Hey there, crafting friends!

Thanks for stopping by Paper Play today.  This post officially kicks off level 3 of AECP for me.  I have five courses to complete and then my final assignment will be to host a live class.  More about the class at a later date - today’s focus is on completing my first level 3 course, Runway Inspired Card Making.  This class was AMAZING and so much fun.  The content focused on getting inspiration for card designs from current runway fashions.  I started by making the decision to make three cards for the class - one female design, one male design, and one bridal design.  Bridal fashion wasn’t a focus of the course but I thought it would be fun to make a wedding card based on current fashion trends.  That decision made, I performed my research of current fashion trends and decided upon three styles to inspire my card designs.

Card 1 - Female 2024 Fashion Trend: Roses

According to Vogue, one of the leading fashion trends for women is rose prints.  I saw multiple rose print dresses that were stunning, but this one from Alexander McQueen truly stood out to me:

I loved the large rose and petals, and the A-line style.  I wanted my card design to have a large rose(s) and lots of petals.  However, I didn’t want to use a red rose.  I wanted to be different and chose two shades of pink instead.  Here’s my card inspired by this dress:


Here’s what I used to make it:

Here’s how I made it:
  • Made three triangle cuts (top of black card panel, left & right sides) to mimic a neckline and waistline.
  • Stenciled the base part of the roses with Spun Sugar Oxide Ink.  I chose this because I knew that the light shade of pink oxide ink on the black card stock would give the flower base the look of a sheer material, which is a way to add the illusion of texture to the card.
  • Stenciled the second part of the roses with Victorian Velvet Oxide Ink.
  • Stenciled the stem and base leaves with Mowed Lawn Oxide Ink and then added little touches of Rustic Wilderness Oxide Ink to add light shadows.
  • Randomly stenciled leaves over the rest of the card panel with Mowed Lawn and Rustic Wilderness.
  • Outlined the flowers and leaves with pink and green glitter gel pens to add some sparkle.
  • Adhered card panel to base with double sided foam tape.
  • Stamped sentiment onto black card stock scrap with Alabaster ink; once dry, adhered to card with double sided foam tape.
  • Glued a black rhinestone where each notched triangle is located on the card.
I am extremely happy with how this card came out!  I think it’s a good likeness of the dress.




Card 2 - Male 2024 Fashion Trend: Patterned Cuffs

I have to admit that my research on male fashion trends was quite . . . interesting to say the least!  I didn’t see a lot that really spoke to me or that I could wear.  That said, I’ve always been a huge fan of patterned cuffs on a shirt.  You know, like the kind that the character Cam usually wore on Modern Family.  I own a lot these shirts and am a always drawn to shirts from designed Robert Graham; so I chose a Robert Graham style as an inspiration for this card:


I decided to go a little more bold with mine:



Here’s what I used:

Here’s how I made it:
  • Embossed the medium blue card panel with the Organic Linen embossing folder.
  • Scored the white shimmer panel at 2” and used a stamp from Painted Rainbow to stamp the design with clear embossing ink to make the cuff design; added Raven embossing powder and heat set.
  • Colored the cuff with alcohol markers; adhered the cuff panel to the medium blue panel so that the embossed cuff was in front of it and the remainder of that panel was behind it.  Used craft glue on the backside and double sided foam tape at the top of the cuff to give it a flared look.
  • Attached card panel to card base with double sided tape.
  • Stamped sentiment with Alabaster ink onto a strip of navy card stock; cut it outh with coordinating die; adhered to card with double sided foam tape.
  • Attached 3 buttons tomthe left side of the cuff with craft glue.
I think that this card definitely gives the vibe of a shirt sleeve with a flared patterned cuff.  I’d wear it!




Card 3 - Bridal 2024 Fashion Trend: Floral Applique

Vogue was once again my go to source - this time for bridal fashion.  The trend that I decided to mimic is floral applique on the dress.  It’s such a pretty design element and one that I knew I could accomodate.  Here’s the pic of the actual gown that inspired my card:


I wanted to make a wedding card so that I could finally use the Enchanted Beginnings set.  Here’s a pic of my card:


Here’s what I used to make it:

  • Altenew Enchanted Beginnings Bundle
  • Altenew Folk Art Flowers Die Set
  • Altenew Vintage Roses Stamp Set - for the sentiment
  • Black A2 card base
  • 4”x5.25” gold foil card panel
  • White shimmer card panel
  • Vellum
  • Poece of white organza ( I cut apart an oragnza bag)
  • Brutus Monroe Embossing Ink
  • Brutus Monroe Raven Embossing Powder
  • Nuvo Shimmer Glitter Gloss Pen
  • Pearl gems
Here’s how I made it:
  • Embossed the white shimmer card panel with the Enchanted Beginnings folder; colered the groom with Grey Shadow ink; decided on placement of couple on card; fussy cut the couple.
  • Cut piece of organza to cover the train of the wedding dress and glued it down along the edges to the dress.
  • Die cut nine flowers using die from Folk Art Flowers and vellum; adhered flowers to dress with craft glue; adhered pearls to center of flowers with craft glue.
  • Used Nuvo Shimmer pen to add sparkle to top portion of dress and the applique flowers.
  • Stamped sentiment onto gold foil card panel with clear embossing ink; added raven embossing powder; heat set it.
  • Adhered couple to the card panel with double sided foam tape.
  • Adhered panel to card base with double sided tape.
I think this card is gorgeous - and I’d be proud to give it to a couple as a gift!





That wraps up this entry on my Runway Inspired Card Making class.  This was by far my favorite AECP course!  I’ll be starting the next course and will have another post soon.  Until next time . . . be well!

2 comments:

  1. Runway inspired is one of my favorite classes! Your projects look fantabulous! Love your take on the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again just lovely choices. That dress is one of my favorites of the season

    ReplyDelete

BPM/IBFS - Stained Glass Flowers

Hi there, friends! Welcome back to Paper Play.  You know the old adage "April showers bring May flowers"?  Well, it's certainl...