Saturday, July 29, 2023

Vintage Shadowbox Frame Wedding Card with The Gingerbread Prints

Hey there, crafty friends!

Welcome back to Paper Play!  One of my favorite items to use in crafting is vintage prints.  I’m an old soul and feel such a connection to all things from days gone by.  There’s a great short story by Jack Finney called The Third Level.  It’s about this man who finds a mysterious and secret third level in a NYC train station.  He boards a train on that level and it takes him back to about 100 years in the past.  I won’t go into more detail in case you’d like to read it (please do - such a treat!), but I think of that character and how I can understand his nostalgia for a simpler time.  I think that’s one of the reasons why I enjoy vintage prints so much - they’re can escape from all that’s happening today and allow me to think of a story to tell.  I’m lucky enough to be on the design teams for some vintage print designers, and The Gingerbread Prints is one of them.  I saw the image used in today’s share in the Vintage Fashion Journal Printable Kit and was immediately drawn to it.  It’s gorgeous.  The story just started to write itself the more that I stared at the image:

a very fashionable couple of considerable means on their wedding day; the kind of couple who weren’t afraid to break from the rather proper societal norms of the day; no white gown or tuxedo for them, they chose to express their own standard of fashion and beauty; a couple so in love with each other that the groom cannot turn his gaze away from her; a bride so sure of herself and her love that no white gown was needed.

 


I wanted to make something special to showcase them.  An elegant, aged shadowbox to frame their picture came to mind.  Here’s what I used to make it:

Here’s how I made it:
  • Use hot glue gun to fill a rose mould with hot glue and let harden; paint with antique gold acryllic paint and set aside to dry.
  • Cut all paper to size and use dies to cut out the frame pieces permdie set instructions.
  • Adjust the image of the couple to a smaller size and print it.

  • Stamp the front frame piece of the card with the Grunge Swirls stamp and Tea Dye ink.
  • Stamp the side of the back frame piece with Grunge Swirl stamp and Tea Dye ink.
  • Use Antique Linen, Tea Dye, and Old Photo inks to age and distress image and frame pieces to your liking.
  • Assemble frame using craft glue and double sided tape.
  • Add gold rose to top of front frame with craft glue.
  • Spritz the finished item with Antique Linen and Lost Shadow spray stains to add further distressing.
  • The card is finished!
Here are other views of the card and a video:






As you can see, I left blank space on the back of the back of the card where you may write a message to the couple that you give it to. It can be folded down and fit into a 5” x 7” envelope.  I truly love this card and think it’s the best one that I have made to date.

Be inspired by the beautiful digital images, stamps, dies, etc. and don’t be afraid to tell their story!  I hope that you enjoy my story and creation.  Until next time . . . be well!

1 comment:

  1. Walter, this is so stunning, love the couple and the amazing shadow box used as well, your crafting skills are just brilliant xx Love your walk through video xx

    ReplyDelete

AECP Level 3 - Creative Coloring with Erum: Advanced Techniques

Hi there, my crafty friends! Welcome back to Paper Play.  Today’s post is focused on coloring and the AECP Level 3 course that I just finish...