Wednesday, September 20, 2023

AECP Level 2 - Masking Unleashed


Welcome back to Paper Play!  I appreciate you stopping by and taking the time to read my post.  Today's post is a little bittersweet because it's on the project for my final AECP Level 2 Course, Masking Unleashed.  This course focused on the use of masks, or pieces of paper, tape, or the like, to cover stamped images while adding additional color or detail to the area around it.  For example, you may stamp an image and color it but then want to add color into the background.  One way to do that is to create a mask for the image so that it isn't impacted by the color you blend around it.

For my project, I decided to focus on masking my stamped images to protect them not only from the background color, but also the medium that I applied to the background through a stencil.

The vision for my design was a vintage feel using the deco stencil in the background and gold embossed roses.  I wanted a 1920's kind of look for it - something a little glitzy and ornate.  I think that I achieved it - what do you think?

Here's what I used to make this card:

 Here's how I made it:

  • Placed A2 sized white panel on Altenew Stamp Wheel sticky pad and stamp chosen Vintage Rose first layer stamp using the metallic gold pigment ink.  Then take the second layer stamp and stamp image using golden glitz ink.  The metallic gold is lighter than the golden glitz ink, and so I wanted it to be my lighter base image.  I wanted the next layer of detail to be darker and so I used the golden glitz for it.
  • The Stamp Wheel makes it so easy to not only align and stamp layered images; it also makes it easy to align images next to each other.  I placed the second Vintage Rose stamp where I wanted it to the left of the first one and repeated the steps above for it.  I then placed it on the right side of the first rose and repeated.
  • Took the third layer stamp for each and stamped it using the clear embossing ink.  I applied the Gilded embossing powder to each, tapped off excess, and set it with my heat tool.  I chose this embossing powder to give each rose a darker top layer and to make the flowers shine.  I think the roses look beautiful!
  • Chose where to stamp my leaves and stamped them with the clear embossing ink.  Gilded embossing powder was applied, excess tapped off, and set it with my heat tool.
  • Cut masks for the flowers and leaves using the coordinating dies and applied them over each stamped image.
  • Blended Speckled Egg ink over the card panel, and then sprayed the Speckled Egg stain over it; dried it with my heat tool.
  • Affixed stencil to the card panel and applied the paper glaze with a scraper tool; dried the front panel with my heat tool.  The Spanish Moss color of the paper glaze and the Speckled Egg ink go so well together, and the paper glaze adds some sparkle as well.
  • Removed the masking paper from images, and affixed card panel to card base with double sided tape.
  • Cut the A2 frame from the second card panel.  I wanted the gold color of the frame to be the same as the gilded gold on the roses and leaves, so I ran embossing ink around the it and then applied Gilded embossing powder.  Tapped off excess and set it with the heat tool.
  • Applied double sided foam tape to the frame for added dimension and placed onto card.
  • Cut a piece of vellum to fit the Happy Birthday stamp; dusted it with baking powder to get rid of static.  Stamped it with clear embossing ink, applied black embossing powder, and set it with my heat tool.
  • Placed craft glue on backside edges of vellum and placed the vellum onto card so that the edges were under the frame.  Added three black rhinestones using craft glue.
  • Used a gold gel pen to add some detail lines to the leaves.

I love the look of the gold in the roses, leaves and frame against this light turqoise color.  It really does scream both vintage and Roaring 20's to me!


The crisp lines from the paper glze and stencil add so much dimension to the card.



I am really happy with how it turhed out.  I incorporated aspects of other AECP classes to make sure that little details were added and that my background popped.  I hope you agree!

That's it for today's post.  Thank you for stopping by to read it.  I'd really enjoy hearing your feedback - please share it with me.

Until next time . . . be well!
 

2 comments:

  1. Walter, [my dad's name] this is stunning amazing and most prettiest card ever, you are indeed a clever person xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You come up with the cleverest ideas!! I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete

AECP Level 3 - Creative Coloring with Erum: Advanced Techniques

Hi there, my crafty friends! Welcome back to Paper Play.  Today’s post is focused on coloring and the AECP Level 3 course that I just finish...